Monday 21 April 2014

Backing East Midlands pubs and breweries | CAMRA campaign


It is good to be getting so many e-mails from CAMRA members from across the East Midlands ahead of the European elections in May (my response is also set out below).
If I am elected I would want to work with CAMRA and the European Beer Consumers Union to protect local pubs and support the brewing industry. You can read the European Beer Consumers Union manifesto here.
My response to e-mails from CAMRA members:
Thank you for your recent e-mail asking me to support real ale, community pubs and consumer rights if I am elected as an MEP for the East Midlands in May's elections.
I am proud to be a member of CAMRA and agree with you that pubs are a valuable British institution and play an important role in our local communities. 
I am very concerned about the numbers of pubs closing, for a variety of reasons, and I want to see action taken at local and national levels to protect our pubs.
I agree that more should be done to promote our local brewing industry through free tie options and a guest beer right for licensees. There are many excellent breweries across the East Midlands region and I want to see them thrive now and in the future. I also agree that beer should be affordable and I recognise the important role that local pubs play in promoting safe and responsible drinking.
You may be interested in an article I wrote for the Leicester CAMRA newsletter setting out my support for local pubs. It is in the March/April 2013 edition and can be read here
I am always happy to meet with local CAMRA branches and would welcome opportunities to do so.
If I am elected as an MEP in May's elections I will be proud to champion our region's pubs and brewing industry in Europe.
The ECBU manifesto.